Car insurance providers love it when a potential customer pulls up with a safe car –like those with high safety ratings and features. Safer cars mean less of a chance of filing a major claim which is good for both the policyholder and the insurance company. The policyholder’s insurance rates don’t increase, and the insurance company doesn’t have to provide a payout. Of course, most cars come standard with essential safety features like seat belts and airbags. There are statistics from years and years that prove that seat belts and airbags reduce damage and injury in car accidents. Insurance providers often reward these safety features with discounts on premiums –one of these discounts is known as a passive restraint.
What is a Passive Restraint Discount?
A passive restraint discount is a safety feature discount based on the car outside of its standard seatbelts. Typically, manual seatbelts found in most cars are not applicable to a passive restraint discount. Automatic seatbelts, however, are another story. These safety features must also be installed by the automaker and present at the car’s time of sale. When it comes to airbags, as long as they automatically deploy (which all do), they always qualify for a passive restraint discount.
How Much Can a Passive Restraint Discount Reduce Your Car Insurance Rates?
It has been reported that passive restraint discounts can reduce monthly car insurance premiums by about $35. Calculated to a yearly basis, that’s about $420 saved annually. All this for just having certain safety features on your car when you buy it is easily beneficial.
What’s The Difference Between an Active Restraint And a Passive Restraint, And do They Both Give Car Insurance Discounts?
Car safety features, or restraints, are either active or passive in both a literal and car insurance sense. Let’s look at the most basic examples of both types of restraints:
- Passive restraint - As previously mentioned, a passive restraint is any factory-installed safety feature that activates on its own –like an airbag on the front or side of your car.
- Active restraint - These are still factory-installed safety features that require manual activation or use, like your seatbelt. Active restraints typically aren’t given a discount.
What Are Examples of Passive Restraints?
You probably want to go through a passive restraint checklist and see what discounts your car qualifies for. So, let’s look at some passive restraints systems that can earn you a discount on your car insurance:
- Automatic daytime lights - Headlights that are automated to the environment qualify for a discount.
- Adaptive steering - This automated system optimizes speed to the steering system to allow better handling. Insurers smile upon this feature that promotes safe driving and gives a discount for it.
- Collision warnings - With motion detectors on the front of the car, the system can alert drivers of impending collisions based on speed and proximity. It’s obvious to see why insurance companies give discounts for this one.
- Blindspot detection system - Cars are becoming more commonly fitted with motion detectors for parking and driving purposes. Ones that detect movement in blindspots are especially valuable for safer driving and car insurance discounts.
How Else Can You Avoid Car Accidents And be a Safe Driver?
Of course, accidents and reckless driving habits are entirely avoidable on the driver’s part. Being a safe driver can not only keep you out of trouble but also your car insurance rates low. Here are good driving habits to make instinct:
- Take advantage of passive and active restraint systems.
- Keep your car in good condition.
- Avoid getting behind the wheel while drinking.
- Always wear seatbelts.
- Maintain at least two car spaces from the car in front of you.
- Lower your speed or avoid driving altogether in bad weather.
What Car Insurance Companies Have Passive Restraint Discounts?
Car insurance providers, both local and national, have passive restraint discounts. It’s a common practice across the industry. The best part about car insurance discounts is that they stack, so if you also qualify for claim-free or policy bundling discounts, they can add up, and you can save more.
Get a low-cost auto insurance quote today from Insurance Navy. The process takes only a few minutes and can be online or by phone at 888-949-6289. Prefer to speak with one of our agents in person? You can also stop in at one of our many locations for a free auto insurance quote.