What Should I Consider Before Filing A Car Insurance Claim?
Keeping track of your car insurance claims is important for two reasons. Because automobile insurance companies utilize your car insurance claim records to calculate your yearly auto insurance premiums, keeping the tally down is in your best interests if you want to save some money on vehicle insurance.
No matter how small the auto insurance claim appears to be, you are being observed by your insurer. If you make several car insurance claims in a short time, your auto insurance premium may rise by a significant amount.
Because you cost your insurance provider money with a car insurance claim, filing a car insurance claim is not a good thing and they’ll simply get their money back by raising car insurance premiums. That’s why you should always consider how much is your vehicle insurance deductible and the damage to the cars involved in the car accident before filing a car insurance claim to an insurance company, especially if you are the vehicle driver at fault.
About 12 million automobile collisions occur each year, with over 33% of those car accidents causing property damage. While the majority of these car accidents are classified as “fender benders,” which result in minor automobile damage and rarely serious injuries, 42,000 people die every year in car accidents, of which almost half of those car accidents are due to drunk drivers.
Every six years or so, the average motorist will be in a collision or car accident. You may be one of the lucky vehicle drivers who has never had an accident during his or her driving career. You’re a unique breed; we mere mortals can only stand in awe as you go by.
What Are Common Reasons Policyholders File Auto Claims?
An insurance claim is always made following injuries to another driver and damage to their cars. Depending on the type of coverage, it may be yourself and your car that is affected.
Car Insurance Claims are often due to:
- Rear-end collision - This not only can be damaging to the back of the car, but also to the driver inside who might experience whiplash. If you have personal injury protection coverage, also known as no-fault auto insurance, in addition to your liability insurance, your insurance company will cover your medical expenses after you file the car insurance claim.
- Windshield damage - Whether it’s from a vehicle accident or exterior factor, a car’s windshield should always be kept crack and chip-free. Windshield replacement or repair should be covered by your comprehensive insurance coverage.
- Damage sustained while parked - Comprehensive insurance is king when it comes to any damage done to your car while you are away from it.
- Reversed into something - This is common and happens to the best. Another driver may even do the same to you. If you have collision insurance coverage your insurance company will cover any physical damage to your vehicle, minus your deductible.
- Vandalized - Any criminal-related activities that victimize your car, like vandalism, can be covered by comprehensive insurance coverage.
- Weather damage - After damage from hail and snow, comprehensive insurance can provide coverage for your vehicle.
- Single car accidents - As you noticed from some of these examples, there doesn’t always have to be another vehicle driver involved for an insurance claim. Running into something on the roadside like a sign or post is a job for collision coverage.
- Stolen Car - Like when a car is vandalized, theft is another criminal hazard that auto comprehensive insurance will cover with a replacement value auto insurance claim.
- Collision with at least one driver - Group accidents tend to occur at traffic intersections. Liability often depends on the driver at fault and which car insurance companies the auto claims are filed with. If you have full auto coverage, you will be covered from all these listed hazards by your insurance company. Basic vehicle insurance coverage with only liability insurance coverage and property damage can only do so much.
Are you paying too much for auto insurance? Give Insurance Navy a call at 888-949-6289.
We offer free, cheap car insurance quotes both online and in-person at one of our many locations. Good coverage can be very affordable.