Chicago, Illinois Auto Insurance
InsuranceNavy’s Auto Insurance
Saving on car insurance in Illinois and Chicago is like shopping for car insurance anywhere else. Many drivers begin with quotes for their minimum required insurance and continue to build a coverage plan from there.
A good place to begin is by getting a car insurance quote. We specialize in finding budget car insurance that’s right for you here in Chicago.
Things you can do personally to save are:
- Receive multiple quotes – Getting multiple quotes from different insurance companies is a good way to find the average cost you’re being offered. At the same time, it’s a great way to see if you’re overpaying for an existing policy.
- Weigh different coverage options – You’re required to buy a liability policy. In addition to that, you have the option to take on collision and comprehensive plans to name a few. In a populated city like Chicago, it may be necessary to look at the optional coverages.
- Pay upfront – A way to save on your auto insurance is to pay for your policies all at once instead of on a monthly basis. Paying for months at a time can lessen your premiums.
- Consider your car – Insurance premiums are directly tied to the value of your car. If you drive a newer make and model, then your rates may be higher, and it will be more expensive to insure. Consider your car make, model, and age when shopping for insurance.
Do insurance companies offer discounts for an auto policy?
Yes, insurance companies do offer a variety of their own discounts when it comes to new and existing policyholders. Keeping the discounts you’re eligible for in mind can make shopping for auto insurance easier and quicker.
Discounts that are universally used by insurance companies are:
- Safe driving discount – A good driving record is obtainable through safe driving habits. Simply being a safe driver can cause your insurer to offer you a discounted policy price or a reduction in your premiums. Insurance companies love safe drivers because they’re not high-risk.
- New vehicle discount – If you’ve recently purchased a vehicle, ask the insurer if they offer new vehicle discounts. Adding a new vehicle to an existing policy may be discount-worthy as well.
- Defensive driving discount – Some policyholders complete a defensive driving course approved by the insurance company to earn a discount for their rates and insurance. Like safe driving, defensive driving indicates a low-risk driver.
- Multi-policy discount – If you’ve moved to Chicago or are a resident, you may want to buy homeowner or renter’s insurance. Insurance Navy and several other insurance companies offer discounts to clients taking out multiple policies with them.
- Military discount – Many insurance companies offer discounts for active duty and veterans of the military.
What is the minimum liability insurance requirement in Illinois?
49 states have minimum liability insurance requirements to keep uninsured drivers off the road. The exact figures are in the same general range but vary from state to state.
For Illinois, and thus the city of Chicago, the minimum requirements are:
- $20,000 per person in bodily liability coverage.
- $40,000 per accident in bodily liability coverage.
- $15,000 in property damage liability.
- $20,000 per person in uninsured motorist bodily injury coverage.
- $40,000 per accident in uninsured motorist bodily injury coverage.
- $15,000 in uninsured motorist property damage coverage
- $25,000 per person in underinsured motorist coverage.
- $50,000 per accident in underinsured motorist coverage.
About Chicago, Illinois
Chicago offers the largest, most populated metropolitan experience in the midwest. The skyline consisting of the John Hancock and Willis Tower makes for an iconic American snapshot muck like a smaller version of New York.
Outside of the namesake-styled hot dogs and rich sports teams, Chicago, its surrounding communities, and suburbs are also subject to a diverse climate. The summers are warm as the beach along the lakeshore fills up, and the winters can go sub-zero as Lake Michigan freezes over. Road conditions can sometimes be unpredictable. Something else you can’t predict is the rush hour traffic. For all this unpredictability on the roads of the Windy City –you’ll want to have car insurance. But not any coverage will do. You may be looking for a low-cost auto policy to fit in with your budget of living in Chicago, which can be pricey at times.
Car insurance is required for drivers in every state except New Hampshire –not full coverage but minimum liability requirements. However, receiving full coverage shouldn’t be expensive when you live in a city like Chicago. With the weather factors, amount of drivers, and local crime rates, you’ll want comprehensive and collision in order to complete your auto coverage.
What are driving and transportation in Chicago like?
If you ever heard the song “Lake Shore Drive” by Aliotta Haynes Jeremiah, then you’d know driving in Chicago is more than just the daily rush hours. There are scenic roads that take you along the shore of Lake Michigan. If the expressway is crowded during rush hour, then Lake Shore Drive is a reliable scenic route with quicker traffic. Side streets connecting the 77 neighborhoods can also be taken to save time. So, it’s not like you are sitting in traffic 24/7, nor are cars completely unnecessary like in New York.
A noteworthy feature of Chicago is its public transportation. In fact, their elevated trains, such as the “L” is one of the city’s defining and most recognizable features, which runs 24 hours. At the same time, there’s the Metra connecting all the Chicagoland suburbs to the Loop. It’s quicker than driving rush hour any day of the week. There’s also a couple of taxi and bus companies that continue to work with the city. If you aren’t a vehicle owner, then you can still find auto coverage for part-time drivers and be able to travel around with ease.
Now, let’s talk about winters in Chicago because it can get cold, and the road conditions may change. Roads can become snowed in, and bridges can be iced over. When winter comes around, drivers all around Chicago begin their morning commutes early since any delays can happen. Drivers also tend to drive slower when the roads become icy. Good auto insurance coverage can go a long way during this time of year. You can be a safe driver in the Chicago winter by driving carefully, being aware of snowplows and road clearings, and keeping an emergency winter kit in your car. It also helps to learn how to operate your car’s defroster and how long it takes to clear the windshield on a cold morning.
Insurance Navy is one of the foremost insurance brokers for customers seeking low-cost auto coverage. We have locations all around the Chicagoland area –in the city and the surrounding neighborhoods. You may see a billboard mentioning us as you drive around the city. Call the number you see to get in contact with one of our agents today!