Have you ever went to start your car, only for it to sputter and not come on? It’s a bad feeling to experience. Even worse is having to call someone to see if they can come to help you jump-start your car. While trying to jump-start your car is relatively simple, you still need to know what to do. This article will help you.
Steps to jump start your car
- The first thing you need is a pair of jumper cables. You should keep a set in your car in case you or someone you may know might need them.
- When the other car is there to help jump the car make sure the front of the cars are close together but not touching. Make sure both cars are off for the next part.
- You will need to connect the jumper cables to their respective sides on the battery of the car. Positive to positive and negative to negative. Keep the metal clamps from touching to reduce any chance of sparks. You will do the same with the other car as well.
- Once the clamps are on, you want to start the car that will be charging the dead battery. Let it run for a couple of minutes.
- Start the car with the battery being charged and let it run for about 15-20 minutes.
- Remove the cables connected to each car battery, make sure to not let the clamps touch to prevent sparks.
- Close the hood of the cars and you should be good to go. Note that if your car battery is old you might want to go get it replaced because the chances of you having to jump-start it again if it stops are high.
It may seem like a lot of information, but it is simple enough. If you don’t feel comfortable with doing anything on this list, you can also call roadside assistance to help you.
Our customer service team is here to help with any and all of your insurance coverage needs. Call us today at 1-888-949-6289 or visit your nearest Insurance Navy location. For your convenience, Insurance Navy is open from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. CST, 7 days a week. Insurance Navy also has a strong presence on social media.
Give us a like or follow on your preferred form of social media. Insurance is on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and even Pinterest. That way, we can keep you updated on helpful insurance tips, important news stories and much more.
Additionally, you can obtain free car insurance quotes instantly on our website, over the phone, or via our mobile app. We offer quotes not only for your classic car, but for commercial cars, watercraft, businesses, homes, rentals, and more as well. Simply follow whichever method you find more convenient to obtain a free, instant insurance quote today.