Having a garage door opener is a great convenience to have. However just like everything else in your house you have to maintain it to keep it working functionally. The average lifespan of an opener is 12 years, but with regular care, you can stretch it. Here’s what you should do.
How To Maintain A Garage Door Opener
- You should always take a look at the owner’s manual, it’ll tell you what kind of opener you have and give you specific instructions on how to handle the product.
- Inspect the mounting brackets, supports, and cables. Look for any loose, worn, or bent parts that need to be replaced.
- If your opener has a battery or a backup, check the battery to see if it’s still in good condition. If not replace it ASAP. Check the cords connected to the electrical outlet to make sure it’s secured. If it happens to look frayed then it will need replacing.
- Check your wall control pad and the batteries in your remote control. See if anything needs to be replaced.
- Make sure your auto-reverse system is working properly every few months. That’s the system that opens the door if it hits anything while closing or sensing something in its path. Clean the electronic sensors if it is needed and test them.
- Make sure all chains and screws are properly lubricated on all moving parts.
- Lastly, make sure to test your manual release handles. This is when you have to manually open the garage door when the opener is not working.
Following these steps will help you get the most out of your garage door opener. Make sure to have your owner’s manual on hand for anything more specific towards your opener. You will find doing this a few times out of the year will save you some money that you can put towards other things, like car insurance.
Would you like additional information about home maintenance or insurance? Our customer service team is here to help. Call us today at 1-888-949-6289 or visit your nearest Insurance Navy location. For your convenience, Insurance Navy is open from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. CST, 7 days a week. Insurance Navy also has a strong presence on social media. Give us a like or follow on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, or even Pinterest. That way, we can keep you updated on helpful vehicle tips, important news and much more.
If you’d like to take a look at more home insurance blogs, we have a bevy of them on our website. Consider taking a peek at these before you leave: